Our obsession with dessert is pretty serious. Actually, it’s very serious. But here at Urban Alchemy we believe in high vibe food, desserts for breakfast, guilt free indulgence — and these Raw Vegan Coconut Caramel Date Bars fit right in. Whip up a batch to share with your bestie for a lovely Friday night in, or enjoy them all for yourself, either way they're sure to be a hit.
Coconut Caramel Date Bars
[no bake, vegan, soy-free, gluten free & refined sugar free]
Yields: 16 squares
1 cup almonds
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
dash himalayan salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 medjool dates (soaked and pitted)
2 tablespoons of date soak water
Coconut Caramel Topping:
10 medjool dates (soaked and pitted)
2 tablespoons almond butter (unsalted)
2 tablespoons maple syrup [make sure you use the real stuff!]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut flakes divided (1/2 and 1/4 cup)
1 1.25 oz dark chocolate bar, melted [or use our raw chocolate magic shell; recipe here]
1. Make your cookie base
- In a food processor, process the almonds, oats, salt, and coconut flakes until a fine crumble forms.
- Add in the dates and vanilla and process until dough begins to form.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of date soaked water and continue to process until dough is firm enough to roll into a ball.
- Remove from processor and press mixture very firmly and evenly into a lined square pan (line with parchment paper)
[Tip: We rolled ours out between two sheets of parchment paper before putting in the pan to get it nice and even & we used an 8in x 8in square pan].
2. Make your coconut caramel topping
- In a food processor (no need to clean food processor between steps 1 and 2), process the dates, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and 1/4 cup coconut flakes until combined. You may have to stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Remove mixture from food processor and place in a small bowl.
- Mix in the rest of the coconut flakes (1/2 cup) by hand to give it some texture.
- Scoop out the coconut caramel mixture onto the cookie base and spread until even.
3. Chocolate drizzle
- Melt 1 bar of dark chocolate on the stove (or use our raw chocolate magic shell; recipe here). Drizzle the melted chocolate over the coconut caramel topping.
- Refrigerate until firm for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. Cut into squares and serve. Store in the fridge or freezer.
What's your favorite dessert recipe? We'd love to know! Honestly, we're ice cream people so Coconut Caramel Date Bars^^ + raw vegan ice cream is pure bliss.
Stay yummy, xo
Erika & Jess
PS. Make these for a friend and they'll love you forever, OR even better; share this post with them so they can make em' for YOU.
PPS. Sign up for our email newsletter to receive a weekly dose of alchemy insights and get exclusive access to high vibe nutrition knowledge that will catapult you into achieving the life of your dreams (you’ll be glad you did!).